There are usually multiple features that Apple is not able to finish before the first official release of a major new version of iOS, and this year looks to be no different, with a total of nine iOS 16 features now confirmed to not be present in the first public version of the new OS.
Last year, SharePlay, Digital IDs in the Wallet app, and Universal Control were among a large number of features in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 that were not available in their initial release, taking several months to trickle out to users.
Apple previewed each of the following features upon announcing iOS 16 at WWDC earlier this year, but they will not be present in iOS 16.0 when it releases to the public tomorrow:
- Live Activities: Follow activities happening in real-time like a sports match or a ride-share with just a glance at the Lock Screen. Third-party apps and App Clips can implement support thanks to the Live Activities API.
- Game Center SharePlay support: Games that use Game Center multiplayer support have SharePlay integration. You can start playing automatically with friends on a FaceTime call.
- Game Center Contacts integration: Contacts shows your friends’ Game Center profiles. Tap through to see what they are playing and achieving in games.
- Support for Matter: The new smart home connectivity standard that enables compatible accessories to work together seamlessly and across platforms. Matter allows users to choose from even more compatible smart home accessories and control them with the Home app and Siri on Apple devices.
- Updated architecture for the Home app: Enhancements to the underlying architecture of the Home app to enable faster, more reliable performance and improved efficiency, especially for homes with lots of accessories and multiple controller devices.
- Freeform app: A new digital whiteboard app with a flexible canvas for diagramming projects, aggregating important assets, and brainstorming, with real-time collaboration features and rich multimedia support.
- iCloud Shared Photo Library: A new option in the Photos app to allow users to create a shared photos library and invite anyone with an Apple ID to view, contribute to, and edit it, including favoriting images and adding captions. There are no limitations, and all participants have the same permissions, making it ideal for families.
- Key sharing: The ability to securely share keys in Apple Wallet via messaging apps and Mail.
- Easy Shortcuts setup for iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X: Siri can run shortcuts from installed apps without any setup process (to be available for newer devices immediately without delay).
iCloud Shared Photo Library became the latest feature to be delayed following Apple’s “Far out” event earlier this week, but all of the other delays were known upon the initial preview of iOS 16 at WWDC.
Apple says that all of these features are coming in an update to iOS 16 later this year, but it has not yet offered a more specific timeframe for any of them. After months of beta testing, iOS 16.0 will become officially available for download on every compatible iPhone tomorrow. For a detailed breakdown of all of the new features in iOS 16, see our comprehensive roundup.
Garmin Reacts to Apple Watch Ultra: ‘We Measure Battery Life in Months. Not Hours. ‘
Garmin has reacted to Apple’s new rugged Apple Watch Ultra, saying in a tweet following the iPhone 14 and Apple Watch event that it measures battery life in “months” and “not hours,” promoting its latest Enduro 2 watch for athletes. While the Apple Watch Ultra has the longest battery life of any Apple Watch to date, with Apple promising up to 36 hours of normal use and up to 60 hours with …
Apple Unveils iPhone 14 Pro With Dynamic Island, Always-On Display, 48MP Camera, and More
Apple today announced the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, featuring the “Dynamic Island” to surface alerts and activity in a new way, a brighter display with always-on functionality, the A16 Bionic chip, a more advanced camera system, new color options, and more. The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max offer the “Dynamic Island” thanks to a redesigned TrueDepth camera array that takes …
Should You Skip iPhone 14? Five Major iPhone 15 Rumors to Be Aware Of
With pre-orders for the iPhone 14 lineup now open, many iPhone customers will be weighing up whether or not now is the time to upgrade their device. The iPhone 14 models offer some substantial upgrades with Emergency SOS via satellite, Crash Detection, camera improvements, and more, but some customers will now be casting their mind forward to next year, when it may be a more appropriate time …
How the iPhone 14 Pro’s New ‘Dynamic Island’ Works
With the launch of the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, Apple introduced an updated design that does away with the notch at the front for the TrueDepth camera. Instead, Apple has slimmed down the hardware and put the proximity sensor under the display, allowing for a smaller pill-shaped cutout. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. As we learned during the rumor …
Trading in Your iPhone for a New iPhone 14? Here’s How Much It’s Worth
Pre-orders for the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max open up tomorrow, and if you’re one of the many customers upgrading from an older iPhone, you may be considering your options for trade- in. Apple has a popular trade-in program that gives customers a certain amount of credit off the purchase of a new iPhone based on which model they hand in and its condition ….
Dynamic Island: First Look at iPhone 14 Pro’s New Pill-Shaped Cutout
Apple today introduced the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max with a new pill-shaped cutout called the “Dynamic Island,” which Apple says provides “a rich and delightful new way to interact with activities, alerts, and notifications” on the devices . With a combination of hardware and software, the Dynamic Island can morph into different shapes and sizes for things such as incoming phone …
Internet Reacts to iPhone 14 Pro’s Dynamic Island: ‘One of Apple’s Best Designs’
Following the introduction of the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max with the all-new Dynamic Island feature, which intelligently integrates the new pill-shaped notch replacement into iOS for system alerts and functionality, internet users have reacted in an overwhelmingly positive way to Apple’s new UX design. In the US, “iPhone 14 Pro” and “Dynamic Island” were trending on Twitter …
Here’s When You Can Pre-Order the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, and AirPods Pro 2 in Every Time Zone
Pre-orders for the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max will begin on Friday, September 9 at 5:00 am Pacific Time, with the new devices available in multiple countries around the world simultaneously. For that reason, we’ve crafted a list of when pre-orders will become available in various countries around the world so MacRumors readers can figure out when to …